Devanadi warmly welcomes Gary kraftsow, the Founder and Director of the American Viniyoga Institute for a Prāṇāyāma workshop series
Gary Kraftsow has been a pioneer in the transmission of yoga for health, healing and personal transformation for over 40 years. He began his study of yoga in India with T.K.V. Desikachar in 1974 and received a Viniyoga Special Diploma from Viniyoga International in Paris, France in 1988. See Gary’s full bio HERE.
December 1, 8 & 15, 2022
Prāṇāyāma Unlocked: Understanding & Practice
All details below
Prāṇāyāma unlocked: understanding & practice
THIS IS A VIRTUAL LIVESTREAM WORKSHOP SERIES. ZOOM details will be sent out the day before the workshop.
WHEN: 3 Thursdays, Dec 1, 8, 15, 2022
TIME: 5:30-8:30pm daily (US Central)
Recording Access: will be provided by Gary’s team and will remain open for registered participants until February 15, 2023.
CEs for RYTs: There is a $35 charge if you want a certificate through Viniyoga, but you can also enter the workshop manually through the YA portal at no cost after the event.
Prāṇāyāma Unlocked: Understanding and Practice
“Breath-centered āsana practice and prāṇāyāma are among the greatest gifts from the yoga tradition to help us maintain our physiological and metabolic health and well-being, balance our emotions, and clarify our minds.”
– Gary Kraftsow
3 part series description
Prāṇāyāma is considered one of the most powerful practices of yoga. Studies from Harvard, the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) and many others have shown amazing benefits ranging from hypertension, stress, depression, anxiety, and as well as connections to core cardiac and respiratory function
In this course, we will explore the ancient art and science of Prāṇāyāma, understand its practical relevance for our own lives, and learn the fundamental methods of practice.
The course will include three 3-hour sessions; each session will include a presentation, time for discussion and Q&A, and a full practice.
The full course will include three 3-hour sessions: each session will include a presentation, time for discussion and Q&A, and a full practice.
Who is This Immersion For?:
Yoga teachers, yoga therapists, AND dedicated students. Come with an open mind and be prepared to start and/or see your meditation practice in a completely different way!
Cancellation & Registration Policy:
No refunds. Registration is non-refundable and non-transferable. Cancellations received 14 days prior to the start of the session will receive studio credit less $90. Cancellations received within 14 days of the session start date will receive no credit.
Policies for ALL Students:
• Cancellation must be received by Devanadi by phone or email
• “No shows” will receive no credit and forfeit full payment
• Fees, once paid, can neither be refunded nor transferred
• No verbal commitments will hold your spot.
Week by Week Description
Week 1: Thursday, December 1
- Understanding Prāṇāyāma
- Vedic ‘Paradigms of Human Energy’
- Prāṇāyāma and Autonomic Nervous System
- Understanding Inhalation & Exhalation
- How and why to vary the ‘directional flow’ of the breath
- Learn effective techniques for developing and refining Inhalation &
Exhalation: Anuloma & Viloma Krama
Week 2: Thursday, December 8
- Understanding the art & science of ratio in Prāṇāyāma
- How and why to modify the proportional relationship between the four parts of the breath: Inhalation, Retention after Inhalation, Exhalation, Suspension after Exhalation’
- bṛṁhaṇa (nourish, build), laṅghana (reduce, eliminate), & samāna (balance)
- Understanding the relationship between āsana & prāṇāyāma
- How to use breath adaptation in āsana to prepare for specific prāṇāyāma
Week 3: Thursday, December 15
- Understanding the different techniques of prāṇāyāma
- how to ‘valve’ the flow of breath
- the ‘energetics’ of the different methods of practice
- sūrya (heating) & candra (cooling)